Diving Equipment: Preparing to Meet the Mystical Depths

It has always been a wish of mine to learn how to dive and explore the underwater world. It’s a widely known fact that only 10% of the waters on this planet are actually explored, which leaves about 90% of the underwater world to be yet discovered and studied. Not that I’m planning on becoming a marine biologist or something, but being aware of that fact is enough to sparkle the idea in my ever-eager-to-learn mind. So, diving classes it is.

Australia has some of the most amazing places for diving on the planet; case on point: the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland (which was also my goal-destination). However, you can’t just go there and jump in the water just like that without being properly equipped. Diving in general is an amazing sport and an activity that has so much to offer in terms of environmental beauty, but it is also a challenging physical activity. Not just that you need to be able to swim underwater, you also need to consider carrying some indispensable load on your back, which means: training, training and then training some more! Besides being physically prepared as you could possibly be, you also need to have some basic pieces of the finest diving gear with you.

scuba-diving

A diving suit

When it comes to the finest diving gear on the market, the swimming suit is probably the piece you should pay the most attention to. In the deep blue, things aren’t as they are in the shallow waters. In deep waters, currents are felt a lot more and your body can be literally shocked when a cold wave hits it out of the blue. And since you’re in the middle of a terribly deep environment with no shelter near you, this is the type of experience you’d rather avoid. Wet costumes can be as thick as 7 millimetres and can be full suits with a hoodie and gloves, designed especially for cold waters.

Dive mask and an octopus

The dive mask and the octopus along with it are among the most essential pieces of equipment for diving as you use these for breathing underwater. The dive mask goes on your face and allows you to see. The regulator is a device for breathing underwater. It’s connected to your oxygen tank which you carry on the back and serves to deliver air to your mouth. The octopus is also kind of a regulator but serves as a backup one. It’s (mainly) a yellow hose that’s also connected to the oxygen tank. It’s purposefully in a bright yellow colour so it can be seen by other divers so they could also use it in a case of emergency. If you’re diving on the surface of the water, then you’d need a snorkel, which is also a breathing device but a much simpler one. It’s a plastic hose connected directly to your mouth which penetrates the water line outside. Breathe normally and of course, make sure you don’t go deep underwater with the snorkel!

Scuba fins

Ever wondered how fish swim so gracefully and easy? Well, they have a body designed to move in water environment, which isn’t the case with humans. That’s why we find it rather difficult to swim underwater and simply let the salt water to bring us back on the surface. However, there’s a solution for this too – scuba fins. Scuba fins are pieces of diving equipment for your feet which help your feet to actually do something useful while underwater rather than just move. If you wonder why is this important, have in mind that the water as an environment is about 800 times denser than air and moving through it is about 800 times harder. Wearing fins, which should be well fitted on your feet (not to tight, nor too loose), will allow you to move faster, easier and smoother.