On the average, we apply around 10 different skin-care products per day. However, by treating our skin with creams, lotions, sprays and so on, we also force it to absorb more than one hundred chemicals. Yes, in spite of the fact all of the skin care products we use are labeled as natural, organic, revitalizing and so on, most of them are loaded with many toxic chemicals.
Some of the harmful chemicals we expose our skin to every day include: parabens, oxydibenzone, phthalates, polyethylene glycol, a whole range of chemically derived fragrances and many more ingredients that don’t do our bodies any good. Most of the chemicals contained it the commercial skin care products have been linked to serious health issues, including but not limited to: respiratory diseases, allergies, hormone disruptions and even certain types of cancer. With all that being said, there is no doubt that we should all turn to natural skin care products.
Mother nature has the cure for everything. We all know that, but the colourful advertisements on the billboards and the amusing commercial on the TV screen mislead us and we often deny the priority of the true natural skin products.
When it comes to skin care, one of the most valuable gifts from nature are the essential oils. Extracted directly from the “heart” of the plants, with no chemical-laden oils such as mineral oil), the essential oils are undoubtedly the ultimate natural skin care products.
What makes essential oils different from other skin care products is not only the fact that they are not made in a pharmaceutical laboratory, but their effect on the skin. In fact, the essential oils are proven to have strong antibacterial, antifugal and antiviral properties.
Unlike the chemical ingredients contained in the traditional creams and lotions, that are accumulated in the skin over time, the molecules of the essential oils enter and pass on through the skin in a matter of minutes, while providing unique healing, softening and nourishing effects on the skin. Below, I’ve listed 10 of the essential oils that are proven to work for better skin look and health:
- Lavender – Helps heal skin irritations and is used to cleanse cuts and scrapes;
- Geranium – Balances oil production, conditions skin and moisturizes the skin;
- Basil – Provides the most calming and soothing effect, which makes it perfect for sensitive skin. Also used to soothe insect bites;
- Lemongrass – Tones skin and simply makes it glow;
- Tea Tree – Has strong antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. You can use it for treating scrapes and cuts;
- Chamomile – Calms irritated and sensitive skin and can be used for treating skin issues such as: acne, eczema, rosacea and skin inflammation;
- Cypress – Helps in treating swollen blood vessels;
- Neroli, rose and rosemary – Postpone the skin-aging process;
- Sandalwood, myrrh – Treat dry skin and rejuvenate its look.
- Jojoba – Treats excess skin oil production and is great for treating skin issues related to this problem, such as acne for example.